|Baby Ikya. I hope mum doesn't pin up a hanky to my wedding outfit like this!|
So while on most days, I'm extremely laid back (NOT by Hyderabad standards, this city has the LAZIEST people ever!) I'm a staunch vegetarian who loves animals and yadayadayada, I get competitive while playing games like pictionary to an extent where people will vouch that I smacked them on their heads a good number of times while slyly writing the answer down, which you are NOT to believe, also I've been known to be super competitive in races (I might have dragged and hurt a couple of people in the sack race because theyweretoodamnslow!)! I have ocd. I have that one cupboard full of all the junk everyone thinks I don't need but are wrong and a lot of other things I'm not so very "chilled out" about! As a matter of fact, I hate the word chill I also hate being asked to relax when you're taking too long to do the right thing. These words just get the daayan out of me.
Point is, it's very difficult to say which situation gets out which character in me. Because as of now, I know that the wedding is in February. I am really freaking out about how I'm going to start or get things done (in my head) but on ground, I haven't done anything yet. NOTHING!
Maybe I'm so freaked out I don't know where to start. I din't intend to start documenting my wedding prep even though I've gotten tons of mails and messages about it along with lovely, heart warming wishes (Thank you all!) But instead of writing it down in my diary, I decided to write it down here so you get entertained, and I get ideas, advice and clarity. and honestly, some shame that'll make me move my bum and DO something!
This is my first time being a bride you see, I feel like I don't even know how to behave. For example, I'm pretty sure I disappoint elderly relatives and most elders by not being shy at all. I only tell everybody that I might be shy and quiet on the day of the wedding but I know, You know, as does the boy and do my friends and family that it's not true! But why snatch peoples' hopes and wishes?!
So moving on to the scary bit, (I
warn request you not to gasp in horror when you know where I stand considering my wedding is in the first half of Feb!)
I'm going to list down the things I know I'm doing, starting now!-
- I'm going for my bachelorette to Goa soon. I know it's been done a gazillion times by everybody but I've never been to Goa everrr (Go ahead, judge me) so I wanted to do it as a part of my bucket list before getting married (only thing I'm doing from the list) mainly because I don't want to be the only Indian to have grown up in the 90s who din't go for the "Goa trip" with her friends!
- I know it's mainly going to be a Telugu brahmin wedding.
- I know I'll be wearing a white sari with a gold border for the wedding and I know the exact kind of blouse I want with it. I just need to go find the material.
- I plan to go to Charminaar and meet a designer next week.
- I know next week onwards I'm going to be out of the house and actually seeing things and meeting people and doing real wedding type things. (Every time I say "wedding type things" be sure to know that I have no bloody idea what I'm talking about!)
- Yes, I know you think I'm an extremely laidback freak but I've never worked before the last minute.
- I know that the boy and the family I'm marrying into is as relaxed and laidback as mine which is exactly what I need not to panic BUT It's high time I do something on my own!
- The venue is decided upon and booked.
- I know what I want to wear for most functions (Haldi (aka the pellikuthuru ceremony), Mehendi (the next day), a dance party the day after - (something western here- not sure what) (no sangeet like compulsory performances as it's going to just put a lot of pressure on me :P), the wedding, the reception the same night.
- My MIL to be is visiting over Christmas and most of my trousseau shopping will be done then. (Trousseau = all the sarees I'm going to wear for all the dining ins and out and bada khanas and general army partys for the rest of my life! So no "trendy" sarees/ salwaar kameezes (that I wont wear on a normal basis anyway)!)
- I need to start getting normal everyday clothes and a beach honeymoon appropriate clothes too, while on the topic!
- Need to plan out *seriously* the vacation post marriage!
- I know I'm trying to sound really chilled out now but I'm actually shitting bricks knowing where I stand!
- No photographer booked yet (
Kill meNo, help me please! Someone Hyd based). Also, I'm trying to get one of those wedding filmers who'd make a cute (max) 3 hr video complete with good music, and bits from friends and relatives. (No zooming into awkward guests' half eaten food plates and crying babies- hey! I know from personal experience that weddings can be traumatic events for kids!!)
- No mehendi artist(s) booked yet. When I said this, My dad said "Oh Hyd is full of mehendi artists!" Ya, let's see you get me one papa! Remember the decor, the food I want for these functions.
- Heck no Panditji in picture yet!!
- OMG Hair and makeup mainly HAIR! Need to go BUY makeup (mainly base makeup).
- I'm dead. Please don't forbid me from taking my 3 and a half day trip! That's the only thing I'm looking forward to right now.
I was avoiding doing this because I knew I'd freak out post this and that I'd be subjected to public ridicule and judgement! (I'd judge such an unprepared bride too, okay!) Thing is work has been so annoyingly stressful and crazy lately, physically and mentally exhausting, by the time I come home, all I want to do is crash but waste time doing other unnecessary things. and all that's not happening anymore! No more phone calls. No more bringing work stress home only sleeping as much as I can and only focus on being a wannabe bridezilla to get everyone in the mode!
Just say nice calming things. Please. Pretty please.